Monday, March 1, 2010

2010: The Year in Film - A Single Man Review

I usually make a point to see as many of the Best Picture and Best Actor/Actress nominated films every year, I don't always catch them all, but as an amateur cinephile, I feel it's important to see/appreciate excellence in acting and filmmaking. As a short aside, I feel that the winners should pass the "10 year test", i.e., is the film/performance involved going to stand the test of time and be just as appreciable in 10 years as it is right now? For instance, last year, Mickey Rourke should have won best actor over Sean Penn, because in 8 years Sean Penn's performance will be scarcely remembered while Mickey Rourke's will continue to be celebrated. At the time, last year, gay rights were a hot-button issue and "Milk" was one of the first films to tackle the issue head on, so it was rewarded, but such films rarely stand the test of time. Truly excellent films and performances should be rewarded as much as possible. That being said, here are who I think should/will win the big 6 awards (picture, directing, acting): Picture: Avatar, Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker), Actor: Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart), Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds), Actress: Carey Mulligan (An Education), Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)

So without further ado, let's review an unexpectedly charming little film that happens to feature an academy-award nominated performance from the lead, A Single Man.

A SINGLE MAN

First time director (and fashion icon) Tom Ford and the supremely talented Colin Firth combine to create a wonderful little snapshot of one day in the life of an English professor during the height of the Cuban missile crisis in 1962 Los Angeles. George (Firth) lost his partner of 16 years several months before - and his life is in a state of existential crisis. Few films have captured the soul-crushing devastation of losing someone like this one.. making matters even worse, this being 1962, George is unable to publicly mourn the loss of his partner, Jim. While the film ostensibly takes place over the course of a single October day, through the use of flashbacks, and daydream sequences, quite a bit of Jim and George's life together is told and fleshed out, particularly compared with the depressing emptiness of George's current life. Colin Firth is perfect in/for this role, as a sophisticated, intelligent, cynical intellectual who is bored and trapped by the circumstances of his (unfortunate for him) time and place. This film is visually stunning, with some great shots combined with a terrific score and soundtrack to make the entire experience feel like a prolonged, mournful dream. Tom Ford is here to stay as a filmmaker, and made a film that could have been about any number of things, but instead was about a single man's (pun intended) life and experiences.

Colin Firth is perfect. Julianne Moore is great as George's lifelong mess of a friend, Charlotte, and the whole film becomes more than just the sum of its parts. More than a mournful ode to a lost love, more than a statement on society in the 60's, more than a mere character study.. this film is like a good novel in that it accurately says so much about humanity and its time and place. This film actually reminded me a lot of the television series 'Mad Men', one of my favorites, in its mournful, solemn tone, its leisurely pace, its visual beauty, in addition to obviously, the fact that the Cuban Missile Crisis was also touched on in that show. Its almost like an extended episode of 'Man Men' focusing on a singular, fascinating character. This is in no way a bad thing.

I really enjoyed this film, it is very artfully done, and features a tremendous performance, one of the very best of the year. If it wasn't for Jeff Bridges in the role of his lifetime, I'd say it was Mr. Firth's statue to lose. While this isn't a light "pick me up", its certainly a work of art, and well worth the 2 hours you'll put in.

8/10.

3 comments:

Jameson said...

Brenner - I watched the Oscars last night, so I really enjoyed reading your Oscar live blog. A couple of items...

- Everytime they showed Quentin Tarentino, I looked over to Lindsay, and said "Who the fuck is that guy behind Tarentino?". Honestly. It was odd because I knew he was going to be there, but he looked so out of place that I could not help but comment each time I saw his grizzled ass sitting there amongst all the beautiful people (sidenote: Quentin needs to stop dying his shit. Looks like someone colored his hair with a sharpie).

- While I thought Baldwin and Martin were more or less underwhelming/awkward as hosts (and you know I am a big fan of Baldwin 2.0 - I just assume that he more or less is not acting when he plays Jack Donaghy), I also laughed out loud a few separate times during the paranormal sketch.

- Best presenters of the night were RDj and Tina Fey. First, you know I am big fan of Ms. Fey. Second, everytime RDj is on stage, he is cracking me up. I remember thinking he had the best speech at the Globes. I wish I could he half as cool as him, but due to the fact that I will never have that much hair again, or ever have that laid back charm that comes along with the whole going to hell and back (and then ending up legit again) thing, I will just have to take solace in the fact that that they still let Stan Tucci come and look kind of cool when talking about Streep.

- Most emotion invoking moment of the night? Embarrassed to say that Oprah talking about the chick from Precious had me going a bit. Pretty unbelievable story when put into that context. Also was a big fan of Ms. Bullock's acceptance speech with the nods to mothers (you know I am sucker for anything like that). (sidenote: will Jesse James ever look comfortable sitting front row at one of these things?)

Overall, I need to see some more of these films before I thumb my nose further at the 2009 year in cinema. I guess the show achieved that goal.

Thanks again for an entertaining read this morning. Hope all is well.

Allister Sears said...

I think I'd have to disagree with you about whether Mickey Rourke should have won over Sean Penn. I'm not saying Rourke's performance wasn't good, but I didn't feel that The Wrestler is the kind of film that will have staying power years down the road. It definitely wasn't Aronofsky's best and to be honest, it kinda felt like that movie existed solely to try and get Rourke a Best Actor nomination.

Milk, on the other hand is a movie I think that people will be watching years down the road, and not just because gay rights are a hot-button issue right now. For one thing, it marks Gus Van Sant's return to actual filmmaking instead of that minimalist crap like Elephant he put out for a while.

But more importantly, it's the rare biopic movie that actually stands on its own two feet. Other ones like Ray, The Aviator or Walk The Line felt to me like they were just a random snippet of notable people's lives whereas this one actually told a complete story arc.

AB said...

You really think that Al? I could not disagree more across the board. First, in 20 years, no one will remember Milk, while everyone will wonder why the hell Mickey Rourke didn't win an Oscar for The Wrestler. No actor should ever win Best Actor for acting in a Biopic (especially if that person lived recently)... you aren't creating a character from scratch, you're aping a real life person. Whether or not "The Wrestler" is Aronofsky's best work is inconsequential, it's one of the truly great sports movies of our time, and honestly, I'll take any Aronofsky over the sentimental schlock Van Sant spits out any day of the week. The Wrestler is #130 on the IMDB top 250, "Milk" is nowhere to be found.. so obviously I'm not the only one that feels that way. You don't get to #130 on the top 250 by merely being a vehicle for an Oscar nom. Penn's win for "Milk" was one of the few Oscar decisions that was a travesty the minute it happened. Penn wasn't even the best actor in that movie, Franco and Brolin both at the very least give him a run for his money. Out of the recent run of Biopics, I'd put "Milk" behind Ray and The Aviator, but ahead of Walk the Line. Having a biopic tell a story arc isn't necessarily a good thing. It makes them feel contrived and artificial. Do people's lives have story arcs? Only rarely. The only 2008 movie more overrated than Milk was Benjamin Button.