Sunday, February 21, 2010

Thoughts on things, Things I hate.

It's crazy - but honestly, my freshman year roommate (douche that he was) was not completely unlike Rand McPherson (and how in the hell does Jeremy "Ari Gold" Piven look younger in 2009 than he did in 1994? It literally blows my mind.



Secondly, how are drug commercials and drug advertising in general still ok? Let's get this straight, this is a product that you cannot get without first going to a doctor, who then must decide whether or not you would be helped by this drug, but then we're going to permit the company to advertise directly to a clientele that cannot make decisions on whether or not to purchase/use said product? That makes the opposite of sense. Doctors make decisions on whether to prescribe drugs based on medical factors that are outside of the realm of understanding of the bulk of their patients, and make these decisions largely independently of their patients. Advertising directly to patients, ergo, thus undercuts the doctor's expertise. Is this really a desirable outcome, especially in an environment when the interaction between mind and body is still not completely understood? I don't think so. Just a random thought.

Remember last post I talked about my dream job? Well I realized my nightmare job - and that's hotel cleaning person. I generally don't dislike cleaning, there's something kind of appealing about having a set goal that you can achieve and see your project, but for me, that only counts for vacuuming, dusting, dishes and laundry (clothes only). It does not count for cleaning linens, both towels and bedding, making a bed, and cleaning the bathroom. I completely hate all of those things - feel like they're far more work than reward, and just generally wish I could pay an illegal immigrant $15/week for the rest of my life to ensure I'd never have to do any of them ever again. These three things are literally ALL a hotel cleaning person's job consists of. At least when you're cleaning your own bed and bathroom it's only your (and whatever partner you have.. hopefully he doesn't look like Kermit) nonsense in there - when you're cleaning a hotel it's a strangers... and people do weird shit in hotels due to the "it's not MY house" factor. So I honestly think that hotel cleaning person is literally the last job on this planet I'd desire.

Oh yeah, one night last week I was feeling sentimental, so I looked back some 4+ years over the history of my existence on facebook and read every post that I've made and other people have made on my wall.. and the results were fascinating, revealing, and a little sad. Let's look at what's gone on in my life since 2005, when I evidently first joined facebook.. I graduated college, left oxford, moved to cincinnati, started law school, graduated law school, took and passed the bar, moved home, moved back to cincinnati, started work as a lawyer. In this interim, several relationships came and went.. I witnessed the start and evolution of more than one relationship. Friendships have come and gone, there are people posting on my wall like it was their job back in the day that I hardly talk to now. Sad. I was flirting with young women on facebook that are married now.. that is deep, man. It makes me feel like a failure, or something. At the very least, it made me realize how transitory all of this really is. You (or at least me), feels like what you have going on right now is somehow so significant in the grand scheme of things, in the grand scheme of your life, and then to look back just 4 years, an insignificant amount of time really, and I recognize that I'm a completely different person now than I was not all that long ago.


Ok - now a couple of new entries into the "Things I hate" category -

• 1: Affliction/Ed Hardy shirt wearing guys. Now, it's not necessarily the shirts themselves that are obnoxious - well, let me switch that to it's not "wholly"
the shirts, because look at this thing.. it is utterly horrific. Rather, the primary problem are the people wearing these shirts. These guys tend to take pictures of themselves and post them on myspace, flex in mirrors, go tanning, and tend to care way too much about their cars. Oh, there is a UFC connection here too. Not that there's anything wrong with UFC in and of itself, but the people who are extremely into UFC tend to be - how does one say? Douchebags. It must have something to do with the quasi-gladitorial For some reason, they clean up on chicks too. What this says about our society, I'm not sure - but I'm at least 70% sure we're heading right to Armageddon, about as fast as we possibly can. Honestly, if there's an Affliction/Ed Hardy sex partner in a female's past - that's a dealbreaker - straight up. Borderline impossible to overlook that one... I mean, I'm sorry and I recognize that everyone makes youthful mistakes, but honestly ladies - you noticed a guy in a tight, completely overpriced tshirt who says "dude" a lot and decided: "I'd like to be underneath him?" - unforgivable.

• The one is in the same vein, only on the opposite end of the spectrum - North Face and the people that speak about North Face as if it was some grand invention that say, cured a deadly disease rather than an overpriced jacket. In case you aren't familiar with North Face, it's an outdoor supply company and clothier that used to cater to mountain climbers and other outdoor types but switched completely to suburban yuppies about 5-6 years ago and now supplies the intrepid explorer of shopping malls and lame bars with a jacket they paid way too much for and only got because all of their friends already had one. This person will then tell you how warm their jacket is like they're going ice fishing and thus need complete warmth for the 200 seconds a day they spend outside for the 10 days that the temperature is under 20 degrees in Ohio. The black "denali" (pictured, but in lime green) is ubiquitous among the under 30 set that can predominately be found at happy hours, starbucks and malls. It is not fully understood why buying the exact same jacket that everyone else has is a desirable or even satisfactory outcome. Usually having the same thing as everyone else is a bad thing among the "cool" set, for some reason this doesn't apply to jackets.. only every other article of clothing.

• People that are really into camping. Now don't get me wrong, I get the appeal of the outdoors, I really do. There's something about natural beauty and being in the wilderness.. I can vibe with that and I'm more than down. I'll go explore a woods or lake or whatever. However, what I will not be doing is moving in for a while. There are crazy inventions called cars and beds and hotels. Camping is fucking expensive. Tents, sleeping bags, gear.. this adds up (to more than just the worst night's sleep you've ever gotten). This is the anatomy of any camping trip: driving somewhere in a car that is fully loaded with shit you use 2 or three times a year tops and takes up 1/4 the space of your garage or wherever you stash it, spending several hours "setting up" at the campsite, then you sit around, bullshit, drink, whatever, go to bed at 3, and then wake up at 7:50 AM with an epic hangover because you just slept on the ground out FUCKING side. Am I the only one that thinks this doesn't sound fun at all? You could just get a hotel nearby where you could shower and sleep in a bed and spend your days outside, with about 1/10th of the packing, a better night's sleep, and it will probably ultimately be cheaper when you add up all of the costs involved in camping (campsites aren't free, after all). Just a thought.

No comments: